Different sensitivity for left/right roll

coolbho3k
Product: R3L-ULTRA
S/N: 212

Different sensitivity for left/right roll

Post by coolbho3k »

I was reading this study by NASA on different types of side sticks vs center sticks: http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/pdf/ ... H-2512.pdf

And I happened across an interesting thing on page 5. The side sticks that NASA were testing were more sensitive when rolling right than left:
Of particular note, these side sticks have stiffer gradients for left roll commands than for right to accommodate the differences in strength among the various arm muscles used for roll control. Because the arm is less able to push away from the body than pull towards it, the gradients were configured to provide a constant feel in roll, offering an ergonomic advantage.
In short, since your arm is stronger when pulling inward than outward, they found that making rolling right more sensitive than rolling left was more ergonomic.

Rolling left, the stick had a maximum displacement at 8 lbs. Rolling right, the stick had a maximum displacement at 6 lbs. In the current FSSB firmware, you can't set different values for left and right roll sensitivity.

These sticks are different, however, in that they allow much more deflection (1-2 inches depending on axis) than the FSSB. Also of note is the high deadzone on these NASA sticks (I think this is what they refer to as "breakout force"). Nonetheless, this is something I'd like to try with the FSSB. It would also be cool to try different sensitivity for pitch up and down. Would this be possible to implement in the firmware and possibly the HID device tool?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FSSB R3W #104 -> R3L Upgraded
FFSB R3L ULTRA #212
F16SGRH-AS V2
Dragon
Product: ---
S/N: 0

Re: Different sensitivity for left/right roll

Post by Dragon »

Absolutely YES.

R3 was designed to make possible achive the real force/signal of the F16. But as you say in your post, would be great, have this advantage settins in the R3, and as the idea behind R3 is do the best of the best, you suggestion is included for future updates as prioritary.

Thanks and keep in contact to test the beta
Dragon
coolbho3k

Post by coolbho3k »

Dragon wrote:Absolutely YES.

R3 was designed to make possible achive the real force/signal of the F16. But as you say in your post, would be great, have this advantage settins in the R3, and as the idea behind R3 is do the best of the best, you suggestion is included for future updates as prioritary.

Thanks and keep in contact to test the beta
Dragon
Thanks Dragon!!! :D
FFSB R3L ULTRA #212
F16SGRH-AS V2
Invisibull
Product: R3
S/N: 109

Post by Invisibull »

I think this would be a great idea, especially if the minimum roll to right could be set below the current default of 2.50 lbs.
coolbho3k

Post by coolbho3k »

Invisibull wrote:I think this would be a great idea, especially if the minimum roll to right could be set below the current default of 2.50 lbs.
At first, I wished I could make the stick more sensitive than the maximum sensitivity. But after getting used to how it works, I find that 2.50 pounds is way too low now. I have the stick velcro'd to my desk and that helps. I think 2.50 pounds is fine for a max sensitivity. Close to the default of 7.75 lb roll/8.50 lb pitch is what I use for everything (DCS World and Star Citizen).
FFSB R3L ULTRA #212
F16SGRH-AS V2
Invisibull
Product: R3
S/N: 109

Post by Invisibull »

coolbho3k wrote: At first, I wished I could make the stick more sensitive than the maximum sensitivity. But after getting used to how it works, I find that 2.50 pounds is way too low now. I have the stick velcro'd to my desk and that helps. I think 2.50 pounds is fine for a max sensitivity. Close to the default of 7.75 lb roll/8.50 lb pitch is what I use for everything (DCS World and Star Citizen).
Maybe I'll feel the same after awhile, too. Right now I just know that my arm gets a bit sore when dogfighting with the DCS: F-86 Sabre after only a short while. How long did it take before you felt like you wanted to go back to the default sensitivity? What did you change in your technique that helped you get used to it? I have my stick center-mounted, pretty much where it would be in the actual aircraft. The mount doesn't move at all, and I have the stick rotated about 20 or so degrees to the left, which makes it far more comfortable in my hand. Any tips you could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Working in this furmware and the Gripen firmware
NEWS soon :D
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Well we have released some new firmwares, and hope you enjoy it, Now is time to continue with the NASA firmware.

Additionaly to the left/right adjust, some customers are asking for back/from also, so we will try to include adjust for the 4 ways

Best Regards
Dragon
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

included in the next firmware
PIC_1517.jpg
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Working on the NASA mod, I have take notice that NASA set the BFA in 10% of full scale. We actually have the BFA in 4 levels, but even the higher is only about 2%, hummm If NASA work in this range to help pilot to keep quite his machine, Maybe we can do the same, no?
Will be updated with the MJW_FW_2_00

Cheers
Dragon